Position - OneCity Neighbourhood Team Leader
Position type: Volunteer, 7 hours/week
Start and end date: August 20 - October 20 (2 months)
Deadline for application: August 12 (but apply as soon as possible – we will be hiring on an ongoing basis until our maximum of 10 leaders)
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
OneCity is a new political party in Vancouver, made of people who believe in an inclusive, vibrant, and affordable city – a Vancouver for everyone. We founded in 2014, and in the 2017 by-election we successfully elected Carrie Bercic to the Vancouver School Board. Now we are bringing forward five candidates, all warm hearted humans who will be strong community voices in the positions of power where we need them: Christine Boyle and Brandon Yan for Vancouver City Council, and Carrie Bercic, Erica Jaaf, and Jennifer Reddy for Vancouver School Board.
It’s an ambitious task to elect these five candidates on October 20, 2018.
We know we need local community members who know their neighbourhoods and their networks to pull it off. That’s why we are seeking to train and support 10 Neighbourhood Team Leaders across Vancouver.
Do you want to be one of them?
You’ll receive training and mentorship, develop skills and capacity, get to know a ton about electoral organizing and municipal politics, and engage people in your own communities.
- Planning and executing weekly outreach events (7 total), which may include door-knocking, managing a booth, presenting to a group, phone calling, Facebook messaging, canvassing at a park or on the street, or other events, depending on your community context (you’ll get support in planning these).
- Ensuring new supporter information is promptly entered into our database.
- Following up with new volunteers and integrating them into your team.
- Building team morale.
- Gathering and sharing stories from your events to share out on social media.
- Attending an evening training session the week of August 20th.
- Showing up for weekly check-ins by phone, video, or in person, to share successes and challenges, and receive support.
- Attending a debrief after the election to reflect on how it went.
What you’ll get:
- Training in engagement organizing, a.k.a. the snowflake model, including telling stories, building relationships, structuring teams, strategizing, and taking action.
- Training in NationBuilder (a database system)
- Weekly check-ins to get support
- Relationships to campaign staff, candidates, all the other team leaders who will be cheering you on
What we’re looking for in you:
- A passion for community building and civic engagement
- Experience working with groups
- Technical proficiency with Google Docs
- Sense of humour
- Diversity – we want the Neighbourhood Team Leaders and the volunteers that reflect the diversity of Vancouver.
If you’re interested in this position, please send an email to Mary Leighton at email@example.com.
In the email subject line, please write: Neighbourhood Team Leader
In the email, please write:
- Why you are interested
- Any related experience you have
- Where you live
Mary will contact you as soon as she can, because we are eager to fill these positions.