OneCity supports the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada specifically as they pertain to education. We are ready to work with Indigenous communities to meet students needs at XPey’ Elementary School, ensure Indigenous representation at the School Board, and implement curriculum that recognizes Indigenous contributions to society.
OneCity’s Plans for Indigenous Representation at the School Board
- Support adequate staffing and funding of XPey’ Elementary, the only Indigenous-focused school in our District, to ensure that XPey' stays open to serve that community.
- Monitor and implement curriculum and classroom activities that recognize Indigenous communities' contributions to our society.
- Participate in and facilitate the consideration of the composition of the Vancouver Board of Education to include representation of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations in whatever way deemed appropriate by the three Nations.
- Urge the provincial government to make changes to the manner trustees are elected to ensure Indigenous representation at the School Board.
- Call on the Federal Government to draft and fully fund new Aboriginal Education legislation with the full participation and informed consent of Indigenous peoples.