Low wages do not allow workers to afford housing and the necessities of life in Vancouver. OneCity believes that it is time to work toward a living wage in Vancouver.
ONECITY'S PLAN TO EXPAND THE LIVING WAGE:
- Support community centres to be living wage employers.
- Require city owned companies, like Easy Park, to be living wage employers.
- Explore lifting wages at the PNE, especially for year round cleaners and security workers.
- Leverage relationships with commercial developers to ensure that there are living wage contracts for cleaners and security guards across the city.
- Support businesses on city-owned land to become living wage employers.
- Support the arts community by providing grants at living wage rates.